Thursday, December 3, 2009

Second Current Event for Science

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2009/1125/3

This article is called Why Suffocating Is Scary it is by Greg Miller. This article was posted on November 25, 2009. This article says if you breathe to much carbon dioxide then you can suffocate. I agree with this article, the reason why I say this is because neuroscientist John Wemmie and colleagues at the University of Iowa experimented on mice and they found a protein in particular abundance in the amygdala, the brain's fear center. This showed mice lacking gene for this protein. When the colleagues injected carbon dioxide in the mice froze up, which is not a good thing. They also discovered that breathing more carbon dioxide can make the tissue more acidic. Which is very dangerous.That is the reason why I believe that this article is true. I agree that if you breathe to much carbon dioxide then you can suffocate and eventually die, I have the colleagues of the University of Iowa to support me. I will defiantly try not to smell carbon dioxide because I don't want to die.

No comments: